Top Ways You Are Ruining Your Hair
Posted on November 14th, 2017
Many people are the victim of their own crime when it comes to their hair and often inflict upon themselves perfectly avoidable damage by not knowing the do’s and don’ts of good hair care practices. Fortunately, you can arm yourself with knowledge about how to prevent damage to your hair and if you heed a few simple tips, you can keep yourself from committing the ultimate crime of self-inflicted permanent bad hair days.
- Change it up Before it Changes on You! Certain styles that constrict the hair follicle such as a ponytail or a bun, can cause extra stress on your hair due to the unnatural tension. Try to avoid tight rubber band accessories and a style that tightly grips your hair day after day. This can cause hair follicles to split or break and create frizzy, unhealthy hair. It’s ok to throw that hair in a soft scrunchie that is a little easier on the hair, but let your hair breathe in between to keep it looking healthy.
- You Snooze you Lose! That is, don’t snooze with a wet head. Before going to bed make sure your hair is completely dry. Not only will your hair dry in a strange shape, going to sleep with wet or damp hair leaves you more vulnerable to dandruff.
- Poolside Problems- As we know, chlorine can be public enemy #1 for your hair. Not only does it dry out your hair but any highlights or dye can be altered from being in contact with that summer swimming fun. Always give your hair a rinse after you take a dip in the pool. One preventative measure you can take is lathering your hair with some hair oil or coconut oil before swimming, which acts as a shield and can keep the majority of harmful chemicals out.
- Blowout Boundaries- Many hairstylists tend to be time crunched and may be rushing your blowout; therefore, using high heat to speed up the process. Be sure that your stylist isn’t a jam-packed one where this could be an issue. Bringing your own hair thermal protection can save the day also.
- Touch-up Tendencies- When drying your own hair, most tend to go all the way to the ends every time. Doing this can dehydrate your hair which can result in an unnatural blend of color. Preventative measures can be applying conditioner where you wish to stop to prevent the dye from running.
- Under the UV- Sunscreen in the hair is crucial for your days at the beach or pool but you should make it a habit to do this more frequently no matter what you’re doing. Believe it or not any and all light can be damaging to your hair. This includes the sun, being near any windows or even the lights in your office or house. Stay protected to avoid lightening of your hair color.
- Protein Mask Mishaps- Although protein masks are fantastic for repairing hair, be sure to keep a good balance between protein and moisture. Too much of just protein can leave your hair fragile.
If you were enlightened on harmful hair care situations, it’s never too late to turn things around. Be sure with this summer in full heat you’re prepared to protect your hair. If you want to be on top of your hair game and are open to endless learning about beauty and cosmetology, contact your local state licensing board to find a school that suits you. Stay fresh, stay clean, and most importantly, stay on top of your game!